Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Confession

Before we moved from DC, my good friend and trusted book recommender, Carolyn, lent me her copy of Twilight and said that she thought it was actually pretty good. I don't read a lot of teenage romance and I don't think I would have picked it up, but I saw it on the shelf a couple of weeks ago, months after I'd forgotten about it and decided to give it a try. Two weeks later (more like a week and a half, if I'm being honest) I finished Breaking Dawn, the 4th book in the series. That's where the confession part comes in. I did in those two weeks manage to keep Owen fed, clothed and entertained, but that's about all I did other than read.

As it turns out, all those teenagers are on to something. They're pretty good books. Other than the fact that they're the kind of guilty pleasure book that will keep you staying up late and neglecting the dishes, they have some thought-provoking themes, one of which is self-control. Self-control enables Edward and his family to live together and to interact with humans, it allows Edward and Bella to be together, it creates a platform for love in various forms. Self-control is humanizing. This is a compelling thought for someone like myself who spends a lot of time reading about monks. (It makes me wonder in what ways other virtues can been seen as humanizing).

The series also raises interesting questions about free will, determinism, and who would win a fight between a vampire and a werewolf. If you haven't read it, it's worth a try. Anyone want to go see Eclipse with me in a couple of weeks? :)

p.s. Carolyn, expect your long, lost book in the mail soon!

3 comments:

  1. Tera,
    I enjoyed these books too. They are full of good role models and it's a great story line. I try to read what is new so I can communicate with the kids at school and I was impressed. It seems silly when people laugh at something before they know what it is. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha -- I love it! I think I told you that I finished "Breaking Dawn" at about 2:00 in the morning, with my hands shaking because I was so nervous. Glad you enjoyed these cheesy books just like I did! And wish I could go see Eclipse with you (as does Matt, since he'll be the one forced to endure it at the theater).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure David Todd wishes we could go see Eclipse together too since he's in the same boat as Matt!

    ReplyDelete